Wednesday, December 1

Veteran's Day breakfast with Great Granpa Eddie and Great Gramma Sue

Porter's school does the most amazing program to honor our nation's veterans every year. Each student is asked to invite a veteran from their life; a brother, an aunt, a father, a grandpa, to come and enjoy breakfast and a musical program the week of Veteran's Day.


The students had been practicing for months to memorize the songs from all branches of the military (I can't tell you how many times Porter would sing "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli..." and it would get stuck in my head all day). After breakfast, the students preformed their songs and the members of that branch would stand and be applauded. There was also a well-executed flag raising and beautiful words spoken by the principal. After going to a high school where the love of country was taught side-by-side with math and history, I can't help having tender emotions when I hear my eight-year-old say the Pledge of Allegiance and know that he really understands what it means when he repeats "...with liberty and justice for all".


I feel so blessed that my son is being taught to honor and respect those that have given their service to protect our freedoms in America. I also feel blessed that he could share this special day with his great granpa Marston Edwin Richards, who served as an officer in the Navy, and his great gramma Sue Richards who kept granpa looking sharp by pressing his shirts before work every day. We salute all forms of service.



These are the people I think of when I think of heroes.

4 comments:

  1. OOHRAH! Semper Fi!

    I think the Veteran's day program Franklin puts on is awesome and the fact they teach honor, pride and respect for our nation and those that serve and have served is an anomaly in todays world. Glad my nephew's fragile brain is in good hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless America! And those who fight for our freedoms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos are priceless. I love your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're back on the blogging bandwagon. And what awesome memories for Porter to look back on with his grandparents. awesome

    ReplyDelete