Tuesday, October 28

Yesterday a friend asked me how my weekend was and I responded right away that it was great and then had to pause to think of what went on. "Yeah we...uh...we..." I drew a total blank. Huh.
What did I do all weekend? Where did the time go?
I know I made some killer potato soup and bread one night and Houston and Cara came for a visit. I remember there were dishes washed and floors swept. A play date with my sister and a session at the Mesa Temple. And I'm pretty sure I was at church on Sunday (although we're in the nursery now and everything is kind of a blur).
So, yeah. I guess that's right. It was a great weekend.

We're having fun sharing a milking cow (which has been named Peter over at our house). We get to go out and pretend we're farmers a couple times a week and feed the babies that keep Peter company while Olen does the milking. Quick, funny story: Olen is ambidextrous and so he's equally good at milking with both hands and makes the whole process that much faster. In his sweet hometown of St. David, families would line up to hire Olen to do their milking because he was so fast. His mom says "He had the fastest hands in St. David; he would milk so quickly that there would be foam on top!" This makes me smile because I picture a couple of good ol' boys in their overalls standing by the row of mail boxes (probably chewing on a piece of straw) watching little Olen ride his bike down Sybil Road saying "There goes Billy Ray's boy, Olen. Ya know, he's got The Fastest Hands in St. David? He brings in the milk with foam on top!" Then the other good ol' boy would say (as the straw dropped from his jaw) "Is that so? I wonder if he has time for my Bessie?" But Olen always blushes when I comment on 'The Fastest Hands in St. David'. He seeks no stardom. It's just a gift.

Awh...it's officially the holiday season. Bring it on. The annual Tietjen Family Halloween party was held last night complete with homemade chili, bread and pinatas. You know, I'm not a fan of Halloween especially; but I sure do love the parties. It's all about the kids and what's not to like about that.

3 comments:

  1. You are such a blogger now. I love it. :) You got me thinking about a homemade (or DI made) christmas this year. Also, do you get to keep the said milk with the foam on top? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like great FALL fun! I love this time of year:) The killer Potato soup sounds YUMMY!

    You will have to try making a pumkin roll for ollen...I was not going to give up until I got it right...GOOD LUCK:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome about your milk cow. I'll barter something (soap?) for cream sometime if you have extra....I really enjoy having my goats; while it's not the same as cow milk and we don't get that lovely cream, I can milk out one of our does in about 3 minutes. I'll race Olen sometime. ;)

    ReplyDelete