Friday, February 12

A Valentine that lasts.

Here's what I've been doing for Porter's class Valentines from kindergarten to the second grade. No glitter, no glue; nothing but recycled crayons, one wicked heart baking sheet, a bag, a design and a staple.

I know what you're thinking: "Molly, killer idea but I was up all night last night making my kid's class Valentines. You're a little late."

Sorry. We didn't make these till last night either. But keep the idea for next year, and when crayons go on sale super cheap in the fall when school starts grab a few...hundred. And think of me and the amazing Valentines you and your kids will make. Also, next week when Valentine stuff goes on clearance see if you can pick up your own wicked heart baking sheet.

1. Take out that bucket/shoe box/jar of broken crayons you have. I know you have one, we all do.

2. Peel off the "skin" (London talk for label).

3. Bang and break.

4. Take out the heart shaped silicon baking sheet you use only once a year, but it is totally worth it.

5. Melt. Baking time depends on how much you banged and broke your crayon pieces. For the size above, seven minutes works perfectly. Smaller pieces = less melt time but the colors can melt together and then all your crayons will look like "boy colors" (more London talk).

(After melted, I transfered the tray into the freezer to set up faster because I had to make three more batches of these and the oven was needed to bake dinner. I'm sure if you're not in a rush they would cool on a countertop rack just fine.)

6. Package. Porter didn't approve of Hobby Lobby's selection of "Mi Amore" and "I love you" Valentine bags, so I used these 3"x4" jewelry accessory bags so we could customize our messege.  

Porter did the peeling, banging, signing and filled the bags. I did the melting, cutting and stapeling.The kids in his class will do the coloring and loving.

Happy Valentine's Day from our family to yours.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Pal, totally awesome! This is WAY cooler then getting a cliche one. Port will be the coolest kid in his class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool! And how fun would that be to have. So going to have to do that next year

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I will remember that a year from now! haha. Those are very cool. And cookies came out cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I know I'm lame, but I am too lazy to make my kids cool stuff. I will be loving those 99 cent stuff and seal envelopes when Maddy is in school. But that just makes you all the more awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh molls. look at you being the perfect mom.
    *sigh*
    good thing i know you and can copy your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a fun idea! I'm totally doing that with my kids next year! Thanks Molly:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i saw those silicone heart pans at Target in their dollar spot! I almost bought a couple too!

    ReplyDelete