Friday, July 24

Flashback Friday

Olen asked at breakfast if I was going to do my Friday's Fantasy post today. He's so adorable.

I fell in love with the musical Wicked by reading through the words on sheet music. I had to have it, so I downloaded the whole thing onto my ipod. It became one of my favorite play lists to run to. I swear I could go faster when "Defying Gravity" came on. I cranked it in the car and Porter would ask me to turn it to the "La-La-La" song ("Popular"). I thought I would like the book too, but that is one trippy read. And pretty graphic. Couldn't get through chapter one.

Then Broadway brought Wicked to the west and we bought tickets. If you know me, then you might have guessed that I love musicals. I love singing them, I love being in them and I really love to watch them. Except West Side Story...never have liked that one. Go figure.

I bought our tickets the day they went on sale (in February?) and we had great seats. My philosophy when buying tickets to any show is, pay that extra twenty or thirty for the good seats, when will you be back? Make it a good memory. Oh, and it totally was.
Olen was mortified that I was taking pictures when the Playbill said not to, and the Nazi Ushers were looking all around for flashes (maybe the set design was copyrighted? Because it was totally wicked, ya know.). There wasn't much to take pictures of anyways, we were in our seats forty-five minutes early! No one tapped me on the shoulder, but they did catch the couple sitting next to us and asked them to put their camera away for the evening. They were only fifteen minutes early.

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I can just see Olen freaking out about the camera. What a fun night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took pictures too...and had the mean ol' usher come and get mad at me. Oh well. We loved Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom saw it in Baltimore and told me it would change my life. I haven't seen it yet, but I am willing to have a life change, so I'll have to see when they come to town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wasn't it awesome!? we didn't have very good seats but it was still amazing. AAAANNNNDDD... we took pictures too. rules-shmools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of Wicked, but don't know anything about it. My mom has the cd - I might have to borrow it! I'm glad you got the opportunity to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, this is going to be kind of a lengthy comment, but your post cracked me up 'cause of our experience, here's what my blog said "We arrived early and looked through the program but there were no pictures of the actors, so Nate was looking up photos on his phone. Then I had him try to take a self photo with his camera phone, but before we got it right, a Camera Nazi employee lady came over and said, "There are no camera's allowed, they'll come and take you're phone from you if you take any more pictures (meaning she's not even in charge of camera control). After she left, Nate was like, "Are you kidding me, look at all the flashes in the crowd, this is a flashless camera phone and we're pointing it at ourselves, not the stage!" So anyhow, we're the obedient type (I honestly didn't know 'til she said something) so that's why Nate's cut off in the picture.

    ReplyDelete