Friday, May 7

Happy Birthday Blog

Two years ago today our little family blog was born.
What's a birthday without cake??
Allow me to introduce you to your new favorite summertime dessert. Who am I kidding, this may be your new favorite anytime dessert.

One day London and I were eating strawberries and fruit dip. Have you ever made fruit dip by mixing a block of cream cheese and a tub of marshmallow fluff? You have not lived until you do. So there we were eating this dip without the strawberries and I had the thought that what this dip really needed was some cake. And maybe a few strawberries could come along for the ride.

So I put together this recipe.

A Trifle Bit Like A Trifle 
Yup, came up with that name all on my own! You'll see what I mean as you read on.
1 vanilla cake mix
2 or 3 blocks of cream cheese
2 or 3 marshmellow fluff
strawberries, sliced
strawberry sauce or extra berries to puree

Easy peasy: Make the cake mix and bake then allow to cool all the way. (The first time I did two rounds and stacked them. The second time I made a 9x13 and cut the cake in half horizontally to layer. It was tricky but I liked the thinner cake layer better.)

Mix cream cheese and marshmellow fluff till smooth. Refrigerate while cake bakes and cools.
Puree berries. The first time I used the sauce and the second time I made a berry puree. We liked the puree best.
Slice strawberries. I bet rasberries would be equally as awesome.
Assembly: No matter what shape you baked your cake, as long as you do this pattern you’ll be good to go - Cake, cream cheese fluff mix, berry sauce or puree, layer of sliced strawberries (optional) then repeat.

Refrigerate at least an hour to allow the fluff to set up and the puree to sink in.
I actually liked it better the next day for breakfast.

It doesn't look so pretty because this was the pilot cake but I guarantee you, it tasted beautifully.
We decided we liked it better when we left the strawberries off of the cake and served them on the side of each piece. See which way you like best.
 
Guess who loves cake?

8 comments:

  1. That looks Delicious, so delicious that I may have to make it today!

    Happy Birthday Molly's Bloggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish strawberries were still on sale at fry's! Maybe i will just have to pick some up anyway. Or i do love a good raspberry dessert too! I'll try it and let you know how it goes!



    ps...2-3 things of cream cheese!? holy moly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever had the fruit dip at Jason's Deli? I LOVE that stuff! It sounds pretty close to the wonderful concoction that you and London came up with! You two are some regular Martha Stewarts in the kitchen! And you do math like me! Two or three...whatever it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! That looks so summery and delicious. Must try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with strawberries and whip cream has got to be amazing! The two things of marshmellow flush worry me though. ;)

    ps: my verification word is diests. A little too close to diet for my liking on these kind of yummy treat posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cream cheese and marshmallows are amazing! I can only imagine what it would be like on a cake.
    Maybe I should make it so I don't have to imagine it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa. Happy Birthday Molly's Blog!!!

    This is one of those times where I wish we didn't have food allergies... we can't eat marshmallows... sad, right? Or cream cheese... it sucks. LOL.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are huge Fluff Lovers here! Maybe thats why I still look preggo!

    ReplyDelete