Thursday, June 11

Announcement:

Olen and I always wanted a daughter named London. Porter had other plans.
When he was three we asked him what we should call the baby in mommy's tummy. Without any hesitation, but much conviction, he said, "Her name is Buttercup."
We call her that all the time. If asked her name that's her number one response. Followed by LaLa.

I have a pretty strict checklist that my kids' names needs to conform to because who knows how many of these guys I'll get, so I want each one to really mean something.
Porter: Porter Rockwell is one of Olen's early American and church heroes. He was an angel with a smudged halo, but a great man nonetheless. I think it sounded strong and honest. Turns out to be a great fit.
Ray: Grandfather is Billy Ray. Dad is Olen Ray. So Ray it is.
London: Olen served his mission in London, England and it represents a special place in his heart. Plus that place as a name just totally rocked my socks, so why not.
Mae: Middle name of my sister, Katherine Mae. It sounded great with London and especially when we call her Ellie Mae. Plus sisters are special.

So what to name this girl?
The first name we wanted significant because of an important place or person, and the middle name to be significant because of who it belonged to first. Even though we still have five months to go (ugh), Olen and I were stumped on girl names. So we asked Porter because he seemed to have a good idea the first time.
He said, "Oh, it should be Daisy."
(So you may think flower, but Porter was thinking Duke. As in Daisy Duke. But let's focus on the flower.)
I looked at Olen and Olen looked back and me and there's just something about that name that sounded really right. So we started calling our growing baby girl Daisy. Unofficially.
Yesterday I was telling Olen how Daisy is the best kicker and summersaulter of all our babies and he said, "Should we just make that official?"
I said, "What? Like an announcement that I am caring the best kicking-summersaulting baby?"
He said,"Uh, no. That her name is Daisy."
And I said, "Well, that's what it is."
The middle name came naturally. It belongs to my mom.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds great, i love it! But I hope you won't mind if one of my kid's middle name is Lou, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that your son will always have a special place in his sisters lives as he named them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too perfect! I love it! Also, another trend is that all your kids middle names have 3 letters. Although, I will miss O, Mo, Po, and Lo! I'll just call her Do for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. The best is when your name has special meaning to your parents. It makes you feel special too. How would I know? Well because mine was picked just because they liked it. So lame! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie - Lou and Joy were on the top of our thinking list for girl's first names just to keep the "o" trend! I'll keep Joy for another time, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely adorable. i love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! It's beautiful! Hope you are doing well...we miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What no lucy??? Its okay cuz your naming her after your Mom and she is the Best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute name! I, too like it when names have a story to tell. I have one for each of mine, maybe I'll tell you when you come hang out!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So your daughter-to-be is named after Daisy Duke? Does Porter have a crush?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geesh no. You need to read here more often, Ammon. Porter has a crush only on the car. We all have names (assigned to us by Porter) from the Duke family, and Daisy is the only one missing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! It is kinda hip, kinda sassy and kinda country... SUMS up your family and sounds perfect. Good job Porter!

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that all your kids names have been well thought out and are really meaningful. I totally feel the same way. Daisy is such a cute name!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, Daisy was on my list for the last two girls. Good choice. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete