Friday, November 20

Thanksgiving All Star: Bake the bird on the belly

Let's talk turkey. They're on sale right now at just about every grocery store and so easy to prepare. I've bought a couple and made one yesterday. A few years ago we were introduced to the tradition of "Day After Thanksgiving Turkey Tacos" by our adopted Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Jim. Since then I've been preparing our own bird for tacos (and sandwiches and soups and enchiladas...). I've really worked on perfecting my method and I think I have it just about right.
I think every turkey should be brined first. This is done by placing the thawed turkey breast-side down in a water cooler then covering the whole bird with a hecka salt (3/4 cup per gallon of water), bay leaves, pepper corns, garlic, whatever kind of herb you like and ice to the top of cooler. Then fill in with cold water to the top of ice. Place the lid on tightly. For turkeys under 12 pounds brine for 8 hours, 12-14 pounds for 12 hours and 20 pounds and over for up to 24 hours.
Photobucket
Step 1. Butter. Lots of it. I was working with a 13-pound bird and used a pound of butter (4 sticks or 2 cups). I'm using unsalted butter because my turkey has already been brined in salt and my seasoning is good and salty.
Step 2. For this recipe I use taco seasoning, but I could easily have used a poultry seasoning or one of my favorite McCormick rubs instead. I figure about a packet of seasoning (3-4 tablespoons) per stick of butter. Or - if you wish to make the best gravy in the world with the drippings, go without any
seasoning at all. For gravy all you do is add a little corn starch or flour to the buttery drippings until gravy consistency is reached.
Step 3. Mix softened butter with seasoning of choice.
Photobucket
Step 4. Taco flavored stuffing would be nasty. Prepare your aromatics to fill the bird cavity instead. I stuffed this bird with onions, celery and apples. This just adds a little flavor but is mostly to help keep the bird in shape and juicy, but is not really meant to be eaten.
Step 5. Separate the skin away from the meat of the turkey on both sides of the breast meat down to the drum sticks by running your hand under the skin. Be careful not to break the skin.
Step 6. Fill a zip close bag with your seasoned butter and snip off one corner. Pipe the butter under the skin then smooth from the outside so that the butter has evenly frosted the entire turkey breast and down into every nook and cranny. Using the bag to pipe the butter will keep your hands clean and get the butter between the skin and breast easier, but if you like to get messy reach on in and lather that bird with butter.
Photobucket
Step 7. Very important: Place the turkey breast-side down in roasting pan. Dust the bottom of the bird (which is now the top) with more of your same dry seasoning. Either one packet or 3-4 tablespoons.
Step 8. Bake at 200 degrees for about an hour then place one stick (1/2 cup) of softened butter on the turkey to melt down over the seasoning. Finish baking till turkey is 180 degrees in the thigh. I usually prepare the turkey the evening before so I can cook it low and slow over night. Once the bird has reached the appropriate temperature, remove from oven. Keep the turkey covered and breast-side down while cooling. The bird will continue to soak up those delicious buttery drippings in pan as it cools and will only get more tender and moist.
Step 9. Because you roast this bird upside down, it isn't the prettiest for carving because it will be so tender it falls off the bone when you move it to your serving platter. But let's be real, do you want a pretty slice of dried up turkey jerky or a luscious piece of seasoned juicy turkey goodness? Yes, we are all about the turkey goodness here.
Come on back for some killer sweet potatoes. It is unlike anything you've ever had, you Thanksgiving All Star, you.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good! And yes brining really is the key. We brine our turkey every year and it makes it so moist and good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried it. And I never would thought to put the turkey "upside down"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just what I needed. It sounds kinda complicated and I get scared by complicated (especially the brining part!) but I'll trust in Chez Molly. Also, the lonely boy post made me laugh. Working on the old guilt card--that's my kind of kid! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no Jenn, it's super easy. Just a few extra steps is all. Email me, we'll talk. Or call me and I'll be your turkey hotline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your secrets. I got two turkeys, one for just me and one for thanksgiving so i'll try it our on one those birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I'm most impressed. Thank goodness I'm not in charge of the turkey this year. I'm going to have to remember your blog next time I am though. Wow.

    ReplyDelete