Sunday, March 7

Sunday Drive

When Olen proposed marriage he promised we would see the world together. The pages in my passport are still waiting to be stamped, but I have seen all of Arizona’s highways and byways and sideways. I’ve seen it all from the passenger seat next to Olen.

I think Sunday drives may be my favorite road trips of all. We’ve ended up at the foot of the Superstitions chasing the sun set for that perfect shot, circling Saguaro Lake talking about how we’ve never taken the whole family on the water yet, or just going the long way to grandma’s house for Sunday dinner. Sunday drives are the best.

Today’s drive took us to Tucson where Olen was able to participate in the baby blessing of one of his lifelong best friends, Johnny. We were loaded and on the road with the sun rise.

Porter and London thought a nap was a good idea except for Daisy who was wide awake and fascinated with the window and watching the scenery fly by. Olen and I played our favorite road game of “What would you do if we won the Powerball” and even though we always have the same answers it never gets old to dream about them coming true. We also discussed our crazy upcoming week and put some finishing touches on our Spring Break plans. London started to get car sick (she is very good at telling me, thank goodness) so I got to experience the only grocery store in Arizona City. It was super busy and they had only two lanes open but I’ve never been in and out of a grocery so quickly in my life, no rants here. Porter read the entire March issue of The Friend and then the rain started to come down in bullets. It rained and rained down the I-10. Olen talked about how full the lakes were going to be with all the rain we’ve been getting and the amazing fishing trips to come. I talked about how tall the weeds are going to be with all the rain we’ve been getting and the amazing yard work to come. Then just as I we were starting a discussion about our priorities, we were home.
I'm not that mean; he gets to go fishing plenty.
And I will most likely hire my little brothers to do the weeds anyways.
Porter started to feel sick after reading, so I told him to keep looking out the window. And he did.
London never keeps her hair clips in, but I do try.
I crawled in the back seat next to Daisy for a while. What can I say? I am such a sucker for blue eyes.
I love Arizona.
Olen, Johnny and James.
Friends since first grade.

Thanks again for the drive Rachel and Johnny. James, you're next!

9 comments:

  1. Sweet post. I love Sunday drives.
    I haven't been to AZ since I drove myself and my little 4 month old out to see my husband at Ft. Huachucha. It was a great 2 day drive and I loved the scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on bit of a sunday drive myself yesterday. But mine was at night and just me, but it was still great. I love a family drive and I love a thinking drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The road was just beckoning yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always talk about what we would do if we won lots of money :) Sounds like a great drive, other than the feeling car sick part

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love LOCAL "VACATIONS" aka DAY TRIPS! And I love that binky bling- too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute post! I love all of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, that makes me miss Arizona!!! Love that state and Sunday drives!! Cute post Molly:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love playing the what would do if you won....game. Funny how the older kids went to sleep(not funny about getting carsick tho) and Daisy was wide awake. There was just so much to see!

    ReplyDelete