Tuesday, November 11

One Nation Under God.

Happy Veteran's Day!
Yesterday Porter's school held a Veteran's Day breakfast and flag ceremony. It was just super. The school invited the Veterans of the families to attend and Porter chose his Grandpa Billy Ray. The six-graders from different Boy Scout troops raised the flag and we said the Pledge of Allegiance and sang the National Anthem together. I could barely manage "...land of the free and home of the brave" at the end of the song because I was so choked up with pride for my country and the feeling of hope coming from the school children. The kids sang the first verse from all the hymns of the different branches of US Military. As they sang, the veterans of that branch stood and we applauded them. There were grandpas and dads and even moms that stood. The Principal said that there were students that had parents serving our country right now. This made my heart go out to those boys and girls who are one parent short at home for my sake and for the sake of our great country. I wanted to applaud those boys and girls, too.

So, in honor of our Veterans we take the day off. I guess kind of to say, "Thanks for your time of service and strife, now let's all just chill for a day"?
Well, I don't know why we all take a day off, but I'm not complaining. We're taking the kiddos to the Imax. Any recommendations?

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know your Pa in law was a veteran. That is so awesome!
    Have a fun time at the imax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Pa in-law'. I love that. Yeah, served in the Army back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I thought it just fit him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the best part of that photo, your "pa in law" was bringing back suspenders. I'm all about the suspenders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suspenders AND belt! My pa in-law is so cool, he's above all fashion rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really neat that they made such a big deal about it at Porter's school; I don't ever remember learning about Vet's Day as a kid. JBE did a few things, too, but not nearly as awesome. We made cards for Granny and Grandad and that's about it. :)

    ReplyDelete