Monday, November 10

This weekend our cars devised a plot to both have brake downs within twelve hours of each other. Uncool. This put a little damper on our weekend plans. Gratefully my in-laws lent us their car while Olen used his mechanical genius to bring our cars back to life.

Saturday after having a good time with Clar and Kristen showing them houses in Laveen (this girl works hard for the money), the kiddies and I got to hang out in Mesa with Nana and Papa and watch them reseed their lawn. Porter was having so much fun playing in the old hen house with Aubrey, so Elle and I dashed over to watch Bethany and Chase's engagement picture photo shoot. It made me so excited for our upcoming family pictures that I had to go out and get our new picture duds that night. Kohl's was having a killer sale so I went and scored big time. I spied an awesome $50 dress on the clearance rack {the place I go to first} and after all my discounts I scored it for - drum roll please - $2.75! Ha! So I wore my new dress to church the next day. Too bad I didn't take any pictures. I totally rocked that two-seventy-five dress in a fifty-dollar way.
Sunday evening we got to host the monthly Reynolds FHE and potluck. Aren't potlucks the best? I don't think they get the credit they deserve. I mean, c'mon, you only have to make one dish but you get to enjoy the whole meal. I believe a lot of world peace would occur if we just looked at life like one big potluck.
My one dish was the dessert. Olen made homemade ice cream (from milking Peter we get a lot of cream around here) and I made Big Mama Lou's Texas Sheet Cake. It's pretty much the best food there is. I had some for breakfast already. And I'll probably have some for lunch, too. It's that good. It's my mother's recipe and a sure crowd pleaser. Here's the how-to so you can go please your crowd today.

Big Mama Lou's Texas Sheet Cake
2c sugar
2c flour
1/4c cocoa
1T cinnamon
1T chili powder (my own rendition)
1c melted butter
1c warm water
2 eggs
1/2c butter milk
1t baking soda
Pour butter over mixed sugar, flour,cocoa, cinnamon and chili powder in large mixing bowl. Mix till combined. Dissolve baking soda in milk and set aside. Add water and eggs and mix well. Add milk and soda mixture. I use the whip attachment and whip till smooth. Whip it good. Pour into greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool for ten to fifteen minutes then frost. The secret to a really moist cake is to frost it while still a little warm.


Frosting

1/2c melted butter
1/4c cocoa
1 bag powder sugar
milk as needed

Pour melted butter over mixed cocoa and 2 cups sugar. Mix till combined. Continue to add sugar and milk till desired consistency is reached. Family favorite add ins: mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, walnuts or pecans, toffee bits...anything.

Shown here with mini marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles (meant as an ice cream topping) frosting.







7 comments:

  1. Molly we need to go shopping together so you can get me some killer deals. Let's plan a hang out time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on he car problems...both of our cars need the brakes done too:( not FUN!!

    Score on the dress...I saw ya and you looked BEAUTIFUL...and great testimony we all need a little more faith don't we?! You are just a sweetie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice score on the dress. But, must have pictures, please. ;)

    The cake sounds (and looks!) amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for coming to my photo shoot and telling me that amazing joke so i could smile. you pretty much saved my life. or at least saved that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um...YUMMY! You definitely rock the kitchen girly! I am soo going to try this recipe...Texas sheet cake is Chad's fave!

    Sorry I didn't get to chat much on Sunday...my brain was going in 100 different directions(I felt bad that I kindof jetted on you)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I have finally joined the dark side Luke! I MISS YOU ! I love all the pictures on you blog! and I must say i have no doubt about your skills, I've seen you work it a few times.... Merry Christmas to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh molly!
    i bet you DID rock that dress. and yes, indeed... world peace would be abundant if only we could see life as a potluck :)

    i am ABSOLUTELY thrilled that you posted this recipe. i have all i need to make it- i just gotta run out and get some buttermilk! :)
    yay for good recipes.

    ReplyDelete