Sunday, June 1

Potato Head..I mean..Bread

See the middle row, the one that has all the cans with the tan labels? Those are potato pearls. I hate potato pearls. Or any kind of instant potato. They're just not right. (KFC excluded; those are magic potatoes.) But why do I have so many? I have no idea. So I went on a quest to turn my lemons into lemonade. (Which is to say: my potato pearls into something better than potato pearls.)
I found a recipe to turn this stuff:
Into this stuff:

But here's the reason for this post; I don't really like the recipe. It tastes like bread, actually, but it's really light and spongy. Even when I used my coarser ground wheat flour. So maybe that's just a trait of potato bread? Well, knowing what clever readers drop by my little Land of Blog, I thought I would ask if anyone has a better recipe than I.

Here's the one I've got:
2 c mashed potato
1 T quick-rising dry yeast
1 T sugar
1/2 c melted butter
2 large eggs
5 - 6 c bread flour
Transfer mashed potato into mixing bowl and cool till 105 to 115 degrees. Whisk in yeast, sugar and salt. Whisk in butter, then eggs. Add enough flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, to form smooth and sticky dough, stirring vigorously.
Butter large bowl. Transfer dough to bowl, turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in warm area until doubled in volume.
Bake at 400 degrees until golden, about 25 minutes.

So, drop me a line and let me know if you've got something better. I've got to use this stuff up one way or another and sooner or later.
I'll even bring you some bread - or a can of potato pearls.
Muchas gracias.

5 comments:

  1. Oh how cool...I love it!

    I am with you on the nasty Potato pearls, I love the real thing!! I also have tons of cans!! Great idea, I will give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a lost soul when it comes to food storage. Did you know that my brothers use the potato pearls for catering? You'll have to ask them what they do to them cause I can't taste the fakeness of their recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had an idea about you potato bread problem. I think you should ad some cinnamon! You know I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that's what you do with those....I had always wondered. Now I know what to do with the 8 cans on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my word! thanks for sharing... you are too cute...

    ReplyDelete