Monday, December 15

So far, so good, on keeping my goal of a Christmas-focused moment in every day from now until Christmas. How 'bout you?

Saturday was super-crazy busy. Actually the super-crazy busy started with Friday and me cleaning my house top to bottom. Olen and I decided we just aren't making the most of the 12-foot theater screen we installed in the basement two years ago and decided better start later than never. So we had a viewing of 'The Christmas Story' with some of our brothers and sisters and their sweathearts. It was so much fun. The kids played in the toy room and we pulled out the LoveSacs and laughed the night away. I always have to be reminded that getting together doesn't mean braking the bank.

I tried to take pictures, but my camera takes crappy shots without the flash. See what I mean? And the flash would have exposed the cuddling that was going on. So...

Saturday was Porter's first Flag Football Game. They are the Rhinos and play on the the YMCA league, coached by one of our friends. Port was so apprehensive about playing football. (I know, you would think a kid so genetically perfect for the game of football, he'd be all for it, right? But my Shuggie is a gentle giant, most of the time.) He was worried he wouldn't be as good as the other players and he didn't want to tackle anyone. I kept reassuring him that in flag football you don't even touch anyone; plus if he did run into someone I doubt he would be the one to get hurt.
We went to the first practice last week to give it a try and he loved it. He catches great and runs fast and loves being on a team. So, football, here we come.
Hopefully now that Porter is playing, I'll finally understand the game of football. So far, I understand that Porter plays 'center'. It's a start.
Saturday night Olen went with my dad to help load up some gym equipment for my brothers (ok boys, I expect muscles!) and my mom stayed at my house and put my kids to bed and cleaned the kitchen. Aren't mom's the greatest?! I had a work holiday party Saturday night. Good food and good friends. Man, what a good combo.
Sunday was more busy than restful, as usual, but I was truly energized by the speaker's words. Both spoke of having faith and hope. Don't despair, have hope and act with faith. I always forget these simple things.
Olen isn't building houses anymore. We've decided to dedicate all time and effort into growing FibreNew. So instead of a part-time business we're making it full-time. This decision came last week and so far he's booked with appointments. I know this is also a blessing from paying our tithing and fast offerings and of prayer. We're acting with faith. Now is where the don't despair and having hope will really come in handy.
OH! But guess what?! We've got ourselves a Secret Santa. A Secret Santa with really nice handwriting. I am probably just as excited about this as my kids. Oh boy. The first night (Saturday) Porter tried to rush out and see our S.S. but said Rudolph was too fast and he missed him. Don't you wish that kind of logic never ended?

5 comments:

  1. you are way cute.
    i love that you notice the good handwriting of your secret santa... as if it were gift enough! :)
    glad that your weekend was a good one.
    ironically, i too, have been tryin' to keep that Christ-mas spirit AND attended a kids sports game, too! we are so totally twins.
    well okay, so we aren't. but i like to pretend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally right that having a good time doesn't have to involve a ton of $$, shopping, or preparation. Thanks for the reminder! I sometimes forget. And I am not your Secret Santa. I have terrible handwriting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that whenever I have turned something completely over (and the key word is completely) to faith, everything turns out, even better then I would have thought. You are such a wonderful example of faith and remembering the important things in life. I am so truly blessed to have you as my older sis. Heart you!!!

    (Did I make you cry?!!!!)
    GO RHINOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Porter is so big! I remember when he would call you moll-yee. Time has escaped us my dear friend. we need to united again soon.

    Thank you for the reminder to stay young at heart and keep the childlike faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that movie screen looks like a fun time waiting to happen! Good thing you didn't expose the said cuddlers though. :) And I'm also feeling behind the times because I didn't even know that Olen built houses, I still thought he owned/managed a Jiffy Lube. I'm so behind!
    Secret Santa...what a great idea. Do you think you can be one if you don't have good handwriting? (Hmm, I guess that's what printers are for!)

    ReplyDelete