Monday, April 20

So at church I thought we had a pretty good system. We don't have a usual "spot", but we do have a preferred sitting area. We (I) try very hard to be early so that we can sit in the softer pews up front. See, there is a distinct difference with the crowds that sit up in the front area of the chapel, the middle overflow, and the cultural hall. I think it has something to do with age. The older folks definitely love their cushioned pews, and let's face it, all those years of wrangling kids and never properly hearing the speakers; they deserve a good seat in their aging years. Then there's the families with teenagers who can dress themselves and get out the door on time. And then you have families like mine who speed-dress to make it to church just hoping to be lucky enough to snag a pew up front and then finish putting on the lipstick in the church bathroom. Only a couple bigger families and not too many with little babies.

The overflow folks are a mixed media of families, younger couples without kids but who want to be close enough to the action so they can watch the Cheerio fights in the event that the speaker gets boring, and the families that lucked out on the good pews because we got there first.

Now the cultural hall crowd is hard to explain. But if you knew my mom's side of the family it would be easy, I could just say they are like my mom's side of the family. Easy-going, laid back, want to ask how your garden is coming along or if you tried that one recipe yet, they gave it a really good effort but never seem to make it there before the opening song (lost shoe, wrinkled shirt, couldn't find the church bag...). But no harm done, they made it before the sacrament and got a seat pretty close to the door if the baby gets rowdy. We fall into this category plenty of times. As a matter of fact, I grew up in this category and turned out just fine.

But as a parent now (and with only two kids, geesh, you would think I could handle this better) I really want, no have, to sit up in the soft seats. See, here's the "pretty good" system I mentioned earlier. The side of pews that we like are against the wall and create a good little cage for my wild cat daughter. Plus the backs of the pews are tall enough to hide the sippy cup and fruit snacks I smuggle in to keep the peace.

So here's how it usually looks:


P
orter
against the wall, coloring or reading or (wonders of wonders) listening.

L
ondon
by Porter because sometimes he'll quietly read to her, but right by me because she really is wild.

M
e.

O
len
- the isle blockade.
The only problem with this brilliant plan is that me and all the kids sit on Olen's blind side. So he can freely listen and ignore the pandemonium coming from his left and enjoy every single speaker, musical number, announcement, prayer. This irritates me slightly. I want to put on blinders and ignore my kids, too! But I need Olen-the-isle-blockade, so whatever. It looks like this:
But since someone has to wrestle away the tampon London pulled out from my ancient make-up bag I keep for emergencies in the church bag and tell Porter to keep his feet off the hymn book holder. It looks like this:


I feel like this:


Yesterday we tried something new. I told Olen how I felt frustrated that I had to pretty much handle the kids all alone and people probably thought he was a lazy daddy (that's what got him!) and he said that I could sit by the isle and listen and he would sheriff the kids the whole time. Well, it was sweet and well intended. We started out like this:

The only problem. Still blindsided.

So it ended up getting this way again.
Then the kids had to cross over Olen to get to me ("Porter took my book.", "Can I get a drink?", "Look at this toe nail, I think it's falling off. Can you pull it out for me?" True story.) Like this:
Actually like this:
I wanted to shoot myself. And I bet the families around us did, too. Maybe we're just not cut out to be front pew material? I got up and sped-walked out of there right after the closing prayer and locked myself in the bathroom.

Well, thanks for letting me vent. I have another favor to ask; What do you do to keep from wanting to shoot yourself at the end of the meeting?
Awesomer coloring books? Better snacks? Benadryl?
The deep breathing and tapping points are not working anymore and I have to do this all over again in six days.

14 comments:

  1. What if you guys sat on the other side of the room? Also, Thats about how our meetings went until I stopped bringing snacks and toys. I was amazed at the difference as crazy as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so darn funny!! I love the pics of the chaos! Everyone has been through those days at church and if they say they haven't they are LYING!! At least Olen can blame it on his eye...trust me my husband has LOTS of blind sides! Dads are just great at ignoring Chaos;)

    We use to be front of the chapel kind of family...we are slowing moving back (what does that mean??;) The back is pretty relaxed and I don't worry about being so disruptive...I think you should join us in the middle:) haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris and I put the kids between us, we don't get to sit together but we hold hands over the pew and this works for us. But yeah, we never get to listen either... I don't think we're supposed to though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are front row people, all the way. It's my obsession. I tell the kids that Bishop can see them quarreling and the speaker can't feel the Spirit if everyone in our row is squirming. ;) Also, the more things we bring for entertainment (books, snacks, whatever!), the more they argue over it and wiggle around (and use it for weapons). We count 'reverence minutes' and every time we have to talk to someone about being reverent, that's one minute that they have to sit on the couch when we get home and practice being reverent. This is especially effective when there's something fun or yummy after church and someone can't participate because they are sitting on the couch practicing. Still, though, no system is flawless, and I've seen the 'regulars' around us migrating over the years, finding quieter places to sit. ;) Love your diagrams, BTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious. I second the 'Less is more' comment when it comes to entertainment items. Seems like the food, toys, books etc just give them something to argue about. We let them take one book/magazine each. Even that is more than I would take were it up to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am all about the front too! It is less noisy and Brecken doesn't seem to join in on the noise. I have cut back on the "bag o tricks" and it seems to be better . I just make sure we are still by the door just incase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bahhaha i don't have children. but i sometimes have to stop chase from being too rowdy. i just tell him he's getting a spanking when he gets home if he can sit still.

    as for our future kids- they aren't allowed to go to church until they are 17. problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha!! LOVE the drawings. You know, we sat right behind you on Sunday. You didn't bother us one bit girly! However I did notice the seat switch. The ONLY reason we were able to sit and listen to the talks is because our boys were too tired from staying up late the night before so they were both asleep. This is our system every week (kinda funny): Jordan drops off me and Dallin to get the front seats, then drives around with Bryce until he falls asleep. This is the ONLY way we can be sane! Otherwise our boys fight the entire time! I grew up with a family that was cultural hall folk too. But just like you, I want the soft seats and the opportunity to block the kids in. I think Bryce is a lot like London and just doesn't get the reverence thing yet. If he's awake, I'm struggling to find ways to keep him quiet. Stick with us up front, we don't mind, it makes us feel at home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I have resorted to the VERY LAST ROW in the entire building. This way I sewat a little less. I would love to sit up front, that is where I grew up, but Chris was a cultural hall kind of fam. He thinks it is a way of hiding. Anyway, with us it is me restling the younger two while Chris is happily and peacefully coloring away with the older two. DRIVES ME CRAZY. He every once in a while gets the death look, then tries to jump in, but the little ones will cry for me! Good Times!! Just remember that at least you are where you are supposed to be, even if you got nothing from it. That is how I cope! :) I think you should switch to the other side of the room, Olen's good side! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with switching to the other side! And maybe putting a kid inbetween each of you. Jaron & I like to sit next to each other, and the kids know that. If we have to put one between us, it not for a good reason-and they'll know it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog! That was so funny to read and I know exactly what you are talking about. We sit on the side too with the kids between us.. but for some reason my kids really like daddy the best lately so they usually gravitate towards him and I am left with some extra space and able to listen :) Well that works until Eric snoozes off or both kids are on his lap and fighting..
    I just figure in a few years I will like sacrament meeting again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Molly, you had me laughing out loud! This is us. Exactly us. And my husband doesn't have Olen's excuse... Its really frustrating, but when someone else explains exactly what you're dealing with, its absolutely hillarious!

    I love the reverance minute idea! If you come up with a solution for this problem, pass it along please!

    ReplyDelete