Monday, January 26

A busy week sure turned into a lazy weekend. By Friday night I was ready for some R&R. Olen had made plans with his buddy to take the kids out fishing Friday evening and I flaked out on GNO plans (sorry girlfriends, I'm sure it was rad, I'll be there next time) to stay home and dust off the cobwebs from some long forgotten projects in my unusually quiet house.


Porter played another entertaining game of flag football on Saturday. I'm still trying to figure out how this game works. I really just yell my heart out for whichever little boy from our team has the ball. Porter doesn't care if his team wins or not. In fact, since no one is technically keeping score, his coach tells them that it was a "tied" game every time. Porter's thinking is, as long as we don't loose, who cares who wins. I'm not so sure how I feel about this philosophy. But Porter sure is loving it.

Since church doesn't start till late I felt like baking something to kill the time. As I was flipping through one of my favorite cookbooks (King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Cooking) I found a recipe for wheat thins! So simple, so I gave it a try.

Wheat Thins
1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 t paprika
4 T butter
1/4 c water
1/4 t vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, salt and paprika in a medium bow. Cut in butter (I use my KitchenAid and whip attachment to make this step go fast). Combine water and vanilla and add to flour mixture, mixing until smooth (looks like playdough).
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Divide dough into four pieces. Lightly flour work surface and roll one piece out at a time to 1/16-in thick rectangle. Trim corners and cut into squares with a pizza cutter.

Transfer to a cookie sheet (I found that if you let the squares sit for about five minutes, they were easier to transfer and kept their shape better), sprinkle with salt or cinnamon sugar,and bake for 5 to 7 minutes.

Watch closely because they go from golden brown to toast in thirty seconds.

My tough critics all agreed that they were "very hearty with the home-ground wheat" and "kind of like the store bought wheat thins". But they were so easy to make, I think they were close enough.

1 comment:

  1. molly- i am trying not to hate you and your mommy perfectness! look at you!

    and ps. i love your other posts that i havent commented on, but seriously i am running out of time... so just know that i love you and your life.

    ReplyDelete