Friday, January 23

Get ready. Get set. Get Flashback Friday.

Next weekend I will run in the London's Run for the third year in a row.
The race began four years ago as a way to help the Solomon family of Q.C. raise money for the medical expenses of their little girl, London, who's life was lost to cancer.
It is such an inspiring story that continues on. In these following years, the proceeds from the run have gone to other children and their families that face the same challenges or have the same needs as London's did.
A lot of people ask me, (only in Q.C. who know of my London and London Solomon), if we named our Elle after her. I say no; then explain how London, England is a place of importance to my husband and explain his mission served there, but how we are proud to share the name with such a strong little soldier as London Solomon.

I adore this race because it is held in my own little town and because everything about the run is about love and service and giving and remembering how we all can do little things to make big differences.

So that's what my mind has been flashing back to as I sweat through the five-milers this week.
Here come the pictures:

Here I am smiling and ready to run. Got my ear buds, a new audio book on the ipod and a baggie of carb chews, just in case.
Oh, the starting line! I am about ten rows deep into this crowd trying to find the spot I left off at in my book. This dumb decision cost me about five minutes added to my overall time. Oye! What a rookie.
While I raced there were a lot of volunteer vendors there that donated their time and equipment. For a small donation of money, the fans could have fun stuff to do until the runners came back. This was great news for Olen who had a bored Porter and little Elle bundled up in the stroller.

Porter tried his best at rock climbing.
But decided that bull-riding was more his thing.
Here I come to the finish line! Funny story here. See how my bib is yellow and the other 10K runner's bibs are white? That's because I registered for the half-marathon last year, but while training hurt my knee during a ten-mile run. Not worth killing myself for. So I asked them if I could just run the 10K and they could keep the extra registration money spent on the half-marathon. Weelll, I ran this 10K in about 58 minutes (but remember those five wasted minutes, now). Which is just an okay 10K time, but would be a killer half-marathon time. I kept getting looks from the other runners because they all thought I was with the half and was about to come in first! See the guy on the far left looking at me?! Whoops. But I did pick up my pace and beat the girl with the crazy leg kick in front of me. I watched this girl run the whole time and never understood why she kicked her leg out like that. Sorry if that's your sister or something. No offense meant. I'm just say'n...


And here's me once I cooled off and Olen and my little fan club came to give me hugs.
Wish I could remember what I was saying as Olen flashed this picture.

I can't, so let's make something up.
How about my favorite running saying:
" I know I run like a girl. Try to keep up."

It's not too late to register for this year's London's run. If you're not up for the 10K (6.2mi) or half (13.2mi) then do the 2-mile fun run/walk. You can register online until the 24th at midnight or on the morning of the race.
It's a great atmosphere down there with plenty of fun things to see and great people to meet. Good food, too, all for the best causes.

If you come, you will be made an honorary member of my little fan club.
The only requirement is that you have to yell really loud for me when I cross the finish line and be willing to give me a hug when I'm all sweaty and out of breath and act like I just won the Olympics because you just love me that much and don't care that I only ran an "okay" time for a 10K.

Watch Olen and Porter and you'll know what to do.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I was a good a runner as you are. If there was a speed walking with a double walking stroller thing going on I would kick trash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can barely walk. I am in awe of your running skills. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gal I know wants to buy an apron from you. Let me know what you'd charge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, I've got another interested customer in an apron...wanting to know cost/ lead time. ;) Got yourself a biz, honey!

    ReplyDelete