Wednesday, September 9

Good Word Wednesday

How To Be A Kitchen All Star 101

Cinnamon Rolls
I can't even remember where I got this recipe from, or who gave it to me, and I think I've even changed a few things here and there. I've had it for forever and use it often because it's one of those super-easy-no-fail-good-every-time kind of recipes. Really you can't goof it up, because even ugly cinnamon rolls go great with a tall glass of cold milk.
Here's the how to.
Proof these three ingredients together for 15 minutes in small bowl:
4 T warm water
1 T sugar
1 T yeast
In medium to large bowl combine:
1 c milk
1 egg, beaten
4 T melted butter
Proofed yeast mixture
Add to wet ingredients and mix on medium speed for three minutes:
1 package (3.5 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
Slowly add enough flour to form a solid dough:
About 2 1/2 c flour

Let dough rise in bowl covered with towel for one hour. The dough may not completely double in size in one hour and that's OK, don't worry, it's good to go in about an hour.
Roll out dough as thin or as thick as you like. Note: The thinner you roll out, the more layers in your finished roll.

Spread with:
1 c softened butter
1 c brown sugar
1 (3.5 oz) package of vanilla instant pudding mix
cinnamon

Roll dough into log form and using a piece of thread or dental floss slice in 1 inch rolls. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with your favorite non-stick cooking spray. Let rest for 15 or 20 minutes while your oven heats up to 350 degrees.
Photobucket

While rolls are baking prepare your frosting. In a mixing bowl combine:
3/4 to 1 c softened butter
milk
powdered sugar
1 t vanilla

I'm never quite sure how much milk or powdered sugar goes into my frosting, I just keep going until I have the quantity and consistency I'm looking for. So if you've never made frosting before, use a little at a time and take it slow.
Take the rolls out of the oven and frost right away or wait a while (if you can) and just make sure to frost while still warm.

VARIATION: For the BEST lemon rolls change out both vanilla instant puddings for lemon flavor instant puddings and omit the cinnamon. Instead of adding vanilla in your frosting add a very small splash of lemon extract or go for the real stuff and add 2 T lemon zest. (This is actually the way I made them in the pictures below. I went overboard with my lemon extract and the frosting was on the tart side, so I used only half the frosting I usually would on the finished rolls.)
Photobucket

Don't wait for a rainy day to give these Queen Of All Comfort Foods a try. These rolls seem to stay softer longer, even if baked slightly passed the golden brown stage, and the pudding in the middle makes them so gooey and perfectly sweet.

My good word for this Wednesday: Carbs covered in frosting. Man, do I love 'em. Pass the milk.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my heck! These look so amazing, I just might, MIGHT make them tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My good words are: Pass me a napkin! YummmmY! Soooo trying this. Oooey Gooey goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I made your easy pot pie for dinner on tues. ,I added a few more veggies that we love here at casa de lines. Thanks so much for the tip, its going into my "dinner routine"

    I can't wait to try this one too. My receipe takes way to long but this one looks like it will take no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so yummy! Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm always looking for simple-no-fail-delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete